Fact Sheet (pdf)
SCA 8 gives the legislature and public pension systems the ability to adjust public employees’ retirement benefit formulas on a prospective basis.
This constitutional amendment gives pension systems the ability to change benefits going forward. It does not eliminate pension benefits already earned by a public employee. The employee is entitled to every benefit accrued to the point of the change. Allowing pension plans to reduce future benefits will help keep plans sustainable.
- Capitol Weekly: State Supreme Court to consider public pension cuts
- The Mercury News: Jerry Brown’s pension reforms have done little to rein in costs
- The Sacramento Bee: Good-governance measures would improve oversight, efficiency
- The Sacramento Bee: Grandma should break out pruning shears on some California programs
- Calpensions: Court pension decision weakens ‘California rule’
- Reason: Public Workers Can Get Pensions Only for Time They Actually Worked, Court Rules