State Superintendent of Public Education Tom Torlakson discusses the importance of local school board control on school reserves.
- Association of California School Administrators (pdf)
- California Association of School Business Officials (pdf)
- California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (pdf)
- California School Boards Association (pdf)
- California State PTA (pdf)
- CalTax (pdf)
- Children Now (pdf)
- Kings Canyon Unified School District in Fresno County (pdf)
- Riverside Superintendent of Schools (pdf)
- Schools For Sound Finance (pdf)
Senate Bill 590 would repeal Education Code Section 42127.01, which places a cap on the amount of reserves (assigned and unassigned account balances) that a school district is legally able to maintain. By restricting districts’ abilities to save for economic uncertainties, this cap on reserve funds impairs schools’ abilities to budget wisely, and as a result, is harmful to California’s youth.